The deepest field of 2017 assembles outside of Los Angeles this week at Riviera Country Club for the newly-named Genesis Open (formerly the Northern Trust Open). Eight of the world top 10 are in the field, as Bubba Watson defends a title he won impressively last year.
Jordan Spieth, Dustin Johnson, Jason Day and Hideki Matsuyama are all ready to take on the great George C. Thomas test.
Here are our top five players for this week:
1. Hideki Matsuyama — Matsuyama is a winner in his last start, and he’s winning all over the place. He can get to No. 1 in the world with a win and a correspondingly friendly Jason Day finish.
2. Jordan Spieth — Spieth has been on a top-10 tear. Now, he hasn’t been in the thick of it at the very end of a lot of those high finishes, but he’s lurking and hanging around. Struggled putting in Phoenix.
3. Dustin Johnson — DJ is a stud at Pebble. One-fourth of his pro wins are here. Playing in the pro-am with the Great One is actually a good influence, in our opinion.
4. Jason Day — Day played well enough for about 60 holes to win at Pebble Beach. The other holes were a bizarre tumble down the leaderboard. Not a horse-for-course, and his No. 1 ranking is in danger.
5. Sergio Garcia — Garcia won in his last start in Dubai, and he went wire-to-wire in the process. Garcia has been in the fourth-place slot in two of his last four Riviera appearances.