The Green Bay Packers took their first steps toward a 75-man active roster on Sunday, two days before the deadline.
Coincidentally, the team announced seven cuts at the exact same time as our projection was published. Here are the cuts, as reported at Packers.com:
Two of these players, Rettig and Harper, were surprises to us. However, Rettig saw only a few snaps of game action in the Packers' first three preseason games and no time in the third game against the Raiders on Friday. Harper, a Seahawks fourth-round pick in 2013, spent much of last season on the Packers' active roster but played special teams - he only saw two snaps on offense.
The rest of the players were at the bottom of the Packers' depth chart at their respective positions and had little to no real shot at making the team. Dennard spent and was on a Futures contract after bouncing around on a few practice squads in 2013; Sheppard was with the Ravens organization on their practice squad a year ago. The rest have spent little or no time with an NFL team.
Stay tuned, as the Packers' roster stands at 81 players, and they will still need to make six roster moves by Tuesday in order to get down to 75 players. It is likely that Jared Abbrederis, B.J. Raji, and Don Barclay will go on Injured Reserve, which would dictate that the team make three more moves by the deadline.
More from sbnation.com:
- Raiders-Packers Final Score: Rodgers, Tolzien Lead Green Bay to 31-21 Win
- The Takeaway: Oakland Raiders vs. Green Bay Packers
- B.J. Raji Injury: Raji Tears Right Bicep
- Raiders vs. Packers Halftime Score Update: Green Bay Leads 22-7
- Raiders vs. Packers, Preseason 2014: Game Time, TV Schedule, Online Streaming, and More
- Raiders-Packers Preseason 2014: Second Half Game Thread