TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida state attorney Willie Meggs said Friday morning he will not render a decision by the end of the day as to whether to file sexual assault charges against Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston.
The Heisman Trophy frontrunner is being investigated for an incident that allegedly happened in December 2012.
"We are tying up some loose ends," Meggs told USA Today. "Hopefully, we will have a quiet day.
"I'm going to try to have all of our I's dotted and T's crossed. Hopefully, don't overlook anything we could do."
Meggs said at the start of the week his goal was to make a decision on whether to charge Winston or not before Thanksgiving.
Florida State, ranked No. 2 in the BCS standings and off to its first 10-0 start since it last won the national title in 1999, will host Idaho (1-9) on Saturday in the Seminoles' final regular-season game at home.
Winston, 19, has not been arrested or charged, and the university has maintained all week that he will play against the Vandals.
Florida State athletic department guidelines say any student-athlete charged with a felony will be suspended immediately. But there is a loophole in the manual -- a line that simply reads "absent extraordinary circumstances as determined by the administration" -- which may allow Winston to maintain his eligibility, even if he's charged.
"In the event the student-athlete is charged with a felony, absent extraordinary circumstances as determined by the administration, he/she will not be permitted to represent FSU Athletics in game competition until such time as the charge is resolved and all court, university and athletics department conditions for reinstatement have been met," the policy reads.
Meggs' comments Friday, meanwhile, come on the heels of a reported interview Thursday between the state attorney's office and the alleged accuser in the case, who was identified by the Tampa Bay Times earlier this week as a Tampa native and FSU student, although her name has not been released.
That news followed the discovery Wednesday that Winston's DNA, which Winston's attorney says Winston voluntarily gave police last week, was a match to the DNA found on the underwear of the woman. Tim Jansen, Winston's lawyer, said "We never ever said (Jameis) wasn't there. We are not surprised with the results of the DNA," calling the sex between Winston and his alleged accuser "absolutely" consensual.
Jansen then blasted the leak of the DNA evidence.
"The only thing we are surprised by is it was leaked out by law enforcement," Jansen said. "The question the people should ask is why is it being leaked? For what purpose?"
The verbal sparring among all sides involved was not the first back and forth since the news first broke last week of the sexual assault case, which -- according to a Tallahassee Police Department statement this week -- was switched from "open but inactive" to "active" after it received new information recently.
In an exclusive interview with the Times on Wednesday, the alleged victim claims she was told by TPD Detective Scott Angulo that Tallahassee was a "big football town," that her life would become "miserable" and she may be "targeted on campus" if she chose to proceed with the December 2012 case.
"When the attorney contacted detective (Scott) Angulo immediately after Winston was identified, detective Angulo told the attorney that Tallahassee was a big football town and the victim needs to think long and hard before proceeding against him because she will be raked over the coals and her life will be made miserable," the family said in their statement, according to the Times. "The family grew concerned that she would be targeted on campus."
But the TPD held a press conference late Wednesday evening to share its version of events in the weeks and months following the initial complaint.
"In February 2013, the case was classified as open but inactive, when the victim in the case broke off contact with TPD, and her attorney indicated she did not want to move forward at that time," TPD interim police chief Tom Coe said. "There are many statements being made daily, some of which are factual, some are not factual. We can't go into detail on that tonight, but there will be a point in time when we can comment on those issues."
The attorney for the women's family also contends that they were surprised to hear Jansen say last week that he was told the case was closed not long after the complaint to police was made.
The family also questioned why Winston's name was never mentioned in the police report even though he was identified by the alleged victim, according to the Times. The report was heavily redacted when released to the media last week.
The Times, which made the initial public records request almost two weeks ago, also claimed in its story that the family wanted to make it clear that it was not responsible for the leak of information about Winston, his alleged involvement or the re-opening of the case.
"It was never the intent of the victim or the family for this to become public," the family said in its statement. "The victim was trying to move on with her life, which has now been turned upside down once again."
Winston, 19, formerly was the No. 1 overall high school quarterback recruit in the nation.
He has passed for 2,938 yards and 28 touchdowns this season, leading FSU to the ACC's Atlantic Division title and the Seminoles' first unbeaten start in 14 years.