Two-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker Brian Orakpo and defensive end Adam Carriker suffered season-ending injuries in Sunday's loss at St. Louis.
Coach Mike Shanahan announced both players out for the remainder of the 2012 season at his Monday press conference.
Orakpo suffered a tear of the pectoral muscle near his left shoulder, a repeat injury that knocked him out of the final game of the 2011 season.
Carriker has a torn quadriceps tendon at the base of his right knee.
Both players will be assigned to the reserve/injured list and won't be eligible to return this season.
Washington used its "designated to return" IR spot last week for long-snapper Nick Sundberg (arm) who was hurt in the Week 1 victory at New Orleans.
---Eagles center Jason Kelce is expected to miss the remainder of the season with a knee injury suffered Sunday, according to CSNPhilly.com's Derrick Gunn.
Kelce, who has started all 18 games of his career, was injured in the third quarter against Baltimore. Dallas Reynolds entered the game for his first career regular-season action and is the likely replacement in the starting lineup going forward.
---Right tackle David Diehl had an MRI on his right knee that confirmed the Giants' expectation of an MCL injury, according to ProFootballTalk.com.
An MCL injury can heal without surgery as long as it's not fully torn, which Diehl's is not.
Left tackle Sean Locklear replaced Diehl against Tampa Bay and is likely to start in Week 3. Will Beatty would then start at left tackle.
---New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez is expected to be out for a few weeks because of an injured right ankle, according to ESPN.com.
There is not an exact time table for Hernandez's return, but a source told ESPN Monday that he will not play this Sunday night at the Baltimore Ravens and perhaps not until October.
---Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith said Monday that running back Matt Forte does not have a high ankle sprain but it is still sore, according to ESPN Chicago.
Forte injured the ankle during last Thursday's loss to the Green Bay Packers. The Bears signed running back Kahlil Bell to a one-year contract Saturday after cutting him during the preseason because he refused to take a pay cut.
It is not known how long Forte will be out.
---At least one Chicago Bears player is not defending quarterback Jay Cutler for his treatment of offensive tackle J'Marcus Webb during last Thursday's loss to the Green Bay Packers.
Cutler was sacked seven times during the game and he lit into Webb after one of the Bears' offensive possessions. Cutler was seen on the sideline screaming at Webb and bumping into him, according to ESPN Chicago.
Cornerback D.J. Moore told the Chicago Tribune, "It's unfair to be like that toward J'Marcus. I don't talk to Jay, but he knows. ... You just can't do that. It's like bad-mouthing someone in the media. It's just weird."
He also told ESPN Chicago that Cutler's behavior was "wrong."
---The NFL will not discipline the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for knocking over New Giants quarterback Eli Manning during a kneel-down play in Sunday's game.
The Giants took a knee to run out the clock to secure their come-from-behind 41-34 victory over the visiting Buccaneers. Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano had his interior defensive lineman plow through the middle and knock Manning over instead of abiding by the typical unwritten rule of not going full speed.
Schiano has faced heavy criticism for violating the gentlemen's agreement and angered the Giants, especially coach Tom Coughlin.
However, there was no penalty on the play and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday that the Buccaneers did not violate any rules, according to USA Today.
---The New York Jets signed wide receiver Royce Pollard to the practice squad and released wide receiver Stanley Arukwe from the practice squad, the team announced Monday.
Pollard joined the Jets as an undrafted free agent in May. He was waived in August and added to the practice squad Sept. 2. He was released from the practice last Wednesday. The Jets signed Arukwe in August and added him to the practice squad last Wednesday.
---The Buffalo Bills might be playing more games in Toronto.
Buffalo has been playing one game per year in Toronto for the past five seasons, but that $78 million deal expires after this year. Still, the Buffalo News reported Monday that a new deal could be official by November or December that would include the Bills playing eight games in Toronto over the next five years.
The team recently extended its lease on Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, N.Y., which expires next July 31.
---New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma met for three hours with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday, and Vilma and his lawyer said they expect a decision regarding any possible punishment to come later this week or next week, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported.
No decision was reached on Monday regarding a possible suspension of Vilma for his alleged involvement in the Saints bounty program.
ESPN reported the NFL gave Vilma a sworn affidavit from former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams claiming that Vilma offered $10,000 to any teammate who knocked Brett Favre out of the NFC Championship game during the 2009 season.