Eight NFL owners donated a total of $7.25 million toward President Donald Trump’s inauguration festivities, a figure that accounts for almost seven percent of the total donations for that particular effort. Trump’s inaugural committee removed limits on individual and corporate donations, and raised $107 million in inaugural donations, nearly double the previous record held by the Obama administration in 2009.
• Ed Glazer (Buccaneers) was the only owner not to contribute a million dollars, donating $250,000 to the inaugural effort.
• Woody Johnson (Jets), who donated a million; Johnson has been named the United States’ ambassador to Great Britain.
• Jerry Jones (Cowboys), whose Gladstone Limited Partnership donated $1 million.
• Shahid Khan (Jaguars) donated a million dollars, though he has criticized Trump’s attempts at a travel ban from Muslim-majority countries.
• Robert Kraft (Patriots), a longtime associate of Trump who donated $1 million. Kraft’s Patriots visited the White House on Wednesday to honor their victory in Super Bowl LI.
• Stan Kroenke (Rams), one of the most diversified owners in sports, also contributed a million dollars.
• Bob McNair (Texans) was active on behalf of Trump throughout the campaign and contributed a million dollars.
• Daniel Snyder (Redskins) contributed a million to welcome Trump to Snyder’s home base.
Trump’s inauguration broke with recent practice and did not impose any limits on corporate or personal donations. Las Vegas casino magnate Sheldon Adelson, who nearly became a financial backer of the Raiders, contributed $5 million to the effort.
The donated money was to be used to fund a concert and various parties, however, Trump’s inaugural committee did not indicate how much money was spent, how it was spent, or what remained. The committee announced that any funds not used for celebrations would be donated to as-yet-unidentified charities.
Jay Busbee is a writer for Yahoo Sports and the author of EARNHARDT NATION, on sale now at Amazon or wherever books are sold. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or find him on Twitter or on Facebook.