Nov 9 (The Sports Xchange) - Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin confirmed Saturday that suspended offensive guard Richie Incognito was investigated last year for allegedly harassing a female volunteer at the team's annual golf tournament.
"That incident occurred a year and a half ago," Philbin said. "We were made aware of the incident and we took immediate action."
He would not elaborate on action was taken or whether the NFL was informed about the incident.
Incognito played all 16 games last season and was later voted on the team's leadership counsel by his teammates earlier this year.
No charges were filed against Incognito after the incident, which took place in Aventura, Fla.
WPLG, Miami's ABC television affiliate, reported the woman claimed Incognito had been drinking alcohol and acting inappropriately. He allegedly approached her and rubbed his golf club against her.
After notifying her supervisor, who then informed team security about the incident, she claimed nothing was done about it. However, former Dolphins wide receiver Nat Moore apologized to her after he hearing about it.
The woman wanted an apology from Incognito, but did not receive one. The TV station reported that she kept silent about the incident for the past year because of a confidentiality agreement.
Incognito was recently suspended indefinitely in the scandal that involves the bullying of fellow Dolphins offensive lineman Jonathan Martin, who left the team last week and is with his family in California where he has had counseling for emotional issues.
The alleged bullying centers around hazing that Martin faced from teammates in his 2012 rookie season that carried over into this year.
A source told ESPN.com that Incognito feels "shocked" and "betrayed" by Martin's claims and believed the two were friends.
The league is investigating the Dolphins while Martin and Incognito are away from the team.
- - -
Former Dolphins wide receiver Mark Duper revealed to ESPN's "Outside The Lines" that he has been diagnosed with signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
CTE is a degenerative brain disease that scientists believe is caused by head trauma and linked to depression and dementia.
Duper is the ninth known living former NFL player diagnosed with CTE.
"It was shocking," he said. "I hoped nothing was wrong. I've had memory things where I would go to the store and forget what I went for. And I have emotional swings and panic attacks."
Duper, 54, is one of four former players - the others are Tony Dorsett, Joe DeLamielleure and Leonard Marshall - who were tested at UCLA over the past three months and diagnosed with signs of CTE. UCLA announced in January that five other former NFL players were tested and diagnosed.
Prior to the recent findings, CTE had only been diagnosed posthumously. Autopsies performed on more than 50 former NFL players - including Junior Seau, who committed suicide in 2012, and Mike Webster - found signs indicative of CTE.
- - -
Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Jerome Simpson was arrested and jailed on a misdemeanor DWI charge Saturday morning in Minnesota.
Simpson was arrested on probable cause after refusing to take a breathalyzer test and booked into Hennepin County Jail at 5:39 a.m.
Simpson is expected to be jailed for the weekend because he is on a 36-hour hold, according to a jail spokesperson. He could be held until noon on Tuesday since it is a weekend. However, a judge may review the case sooner.
The 27-year-old is on probation stemming from a guilty plea on a felony drug charge in April 2012.
Simpson also could face league discipline. He served a three-game suspension last season.
- - -
The Seattle Seahawks released wide receiver Bryan Walters and signed defensive tackle Michael Brooks from the practice squad to the active roster. (Editing by Gene Cherry)