March 29 (The Sports Xchange) - Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Wednesday that retired running back Marshawn Lynch is considering a return to the NFL.
Carroll said he talked to Lynch, who retired from the NFL and Seahawks after the 2015 season, about 10 days ago.
"He came through the office and had a good visit," Carroll told reporters at the NFL meetings in Phoenix. "I know that he is somewhat entertaining the thought of it. I can't tell you how strong it is. You've got to talk to him. And that chance isn't happening."
ESPN and NFL Network reported earlier this month that the Oakland Raiders would be interested in Lynch should he decide to make a comeback and come out of retirement. Lynch's playing rights are owned by the Seahawks as he has two years remaining on his contract. He has been on the reserve/retired list since May 2016.
All-Pro cornerback Richard Sherman could be traded by the Seahawks before the start of the 2017 season.
Several teams showed interest in Sherman, according to Carroll and general manager John Schneider, but the Seahawks are currently inclined to keep the shutdown left cornerback on the roster.
Sherman, 28, appeared on ESPN and said he laughs off the idea of being traded. "It's funny to me. But sometimes people need to see you gone to realize what you had," Sherman said.
One of the league's top defenders in pass coverage, Sherman is guaranteed $22.4 million over the next two seasons. He has played in every game each of his six years in the NFL.
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he plans to make a decision about the future of quarterback Tony Romo "before training camp."
Romo's status with the team has been in limbo since free agency began three weeks ago. The Cowboys have been seeking a trade partner for the 36-year-old veteran, but thus far no team has been willing to take on Romo's contract for the 2017 season. If no trade is made, the Cowboys intend to release Romo.
Jones, speaking to reporters at the NFL meetings in Phoenix, said he talked with Romo in the last several days. Romo wants to continue his playing career, but FOX and CBS reportedly want him as a television analyst for next season.
Romo, who turns 37 on April 21, holds many of the team's passing records with 34,183 yards and 248 touchdowns. But he hasn't played a full season since 2012, including missing 21 games with injuries the last two seasons.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has stayed away from Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass., the home of the New England Patriots, since the Deflategate saga happened, but he has every intention of being there for the league's season opener in September.
"I plan to be at the kickoff game," a smiling Goodell said at the annual league meetings in Phoenix in response to a question.
The defending Super Bowl champions traditionally play the opening game of the following season. The 2017 date is expected to be Thursday, Sept. 7.
Patriots owner Robert Kraft has not hidden his feelings of animosity toward Goodell since the commissioner upheld quarterback Tom Brady's four-game suspension at the start of last season. The Patriots went on to claim their fifth Super Bowl title with a come-from-behind victory over the Atlanta Falcons in February.
Cincinnati Bengals owner Mike Brown and coach Marvin Lewis came to the defense of cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones.
Jones was arrested Jan. 3 on a felony charge of harassment with a bodily substance and misdemeanor charges of assault, disorderly conduct and obstructing official business as a result of an altercation with a security guard at a Cincinnati hotel. The Cincinnati prosecutor dropped the felony charge last week, and Jones' lawyer said he will plead not guilty to the remaining charges.
"He knows full well what he has done to himself," Brown said at the NFL owners' meetings in Phoenix. "He regrets it. But it's been made into a public issue and maybe I am overly tolerant. If so, so be it."
Lewis also defended Jones, who was shown on video using profane language toward police officers and telling them he wished they would die. Jones' lawyers have since released a statement saying that their client has apologized for what he said and is seeing counseling for anger management as a result of the incident.
The New Orleans Saints agreed to a deal with veteran quarterback Chase Daniel, who will return to the team as the backup to Drew Brees.
Daniel, who was with the Saints from 2009-12, will sign a one-year deal, ESPN reported. Daniel, 30, served as the primary backup to Brees from 2010-12 before joining the Kansas City Chiefs as a backup for Alex Smith from 2013-15.
Daniel signed a three-year, $21 million contract -- with $12 million guaranteed -- with the Philadelphia Eagles last season. The Eagles released Daniel at his own request on March 13 in a move that freed up $6 million of available cap space. He played in just one game in 2016, completing his only pass for 16 yards.
For his career, Daniel has completed 51 of his 78 career pass attempts for 480 yards with one touchdown and an interception. (Editing by Steve Keating.)