Richie Incognito didn't wait for the conclusion of the NFL's investigation of the Miami Dolphins to speak out.
The Dolphins' offensive lineman, who is at the center of the storm in allegations of bullying teammate Jonathan Martin, spoke to Fox Sports' Jay Glazer on camera in an interview that's scheduled to air Sunday at noon ET. It's the first extensive interview Incognito has granted since he was suspended last week by the Dolphins for conduct detrimental to the team.
''This isn't an issue about bullying,'' Incognito told Fox in part of the interview that the network released on Saturday night. ''This is an issue of my and John's relationship. You can ask anyone in the Miami Dolphins' locker room who had Jon Martin's back the absolute most and they'll undoubtedly tell you me.
''All this stuff coming out, it speaks to the culture of our locker room, it speaks to culture of our closeness, it speaks to the culture of our brotherhood," Incognito said. "The racism, the bad words, that's what I regret most, but that's a product of the environment. That's something that we use all the time.''
[Yahoo Sports Radio: John Salley staunchly defends Richie Incognito]
Incognito allegedly left a threatening voicemail on Martin's phone in which he used a racial slur. It was one of many incidents alleged to have forced Martin to leave the team.
Before Incognito's partial interview was released, the Dolphins were in no mood to discuss the case on Saturday as they prepared to face the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a Monday night matchup. The Associated Press reported that the Dolphins players had Tupac Shakur's "Me Against the World" playing at practice.
''We have a game on Monday,'' defensive end Cameron Wake told reporters. ''I'm not thinking about anybody that's not in this locker room, and that's the truth.''