Central Florida is expected to be bowl eligible this after getting word that the NCAA will not rule on sanctions against the school until next year, coach George O'Leary said Tuesday.
The Knights, who are 4-2 entering Saturday's game at Marshall, were hit with NCAA major sanctions over recruiting violations. However, UCF has appeal a one-year bowl ban, which will be heard Jan. 24, pushing off bowl sanctions until next season.
"I was told last week that the hearing will be Jan. 24, which that's what I thought it would be," O'Leary said. "I think it's great news for our team, it's great news for our fan base."
The announcement means UCF will be eligible to compete for the Conference USA championship game and a bowl bid. The Knights, who move to the Big East next season, are 3-0 and in first place in Confernce USA's East division.
Because the NCAA found a lack of institutional control at UCF, the Knights cannot compete in the NCAA men's basketball tournament and under scholarship reductions for men's basketball and football.