- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Gilbert Arenas is nearing an agreement on a one-year contract with the Guangdong Southern Tigers of the Chinese Basketball Association, a source told Yahoo! Sports.
Arenas, 30, was a three-time All-Star who averaged 20.7 points over 11 seasons for the Golden State Warriors, Washington Wizards, Orlando Magic and Memphis Grizzlies. He was suspended for most of the 2009–10 season after bringing guns to the Wizards' locker room. He averaged 4.2 points and 1.1 assists while playing in 17 games for Memphis last season.
[Fantasy Basketball '12: Play the official game of NBA.com]
Arenas hoped to return to the NBA this season while working out in his hometown of Los Angeles, but no teams expressed interest.
The Chinese Basketball Association now has a long list of former NBA players, including former All-Stars Stephon Marbury and Tracy McGrady. By signing with Guangdong, Arenas will join former NBA player Yi Jianlian, who played with the Dallas Mavericks last season.
Yahoo! Sports Minute
Other popular content on the Yahoo! network:
• The best of NFL Sunday’s celebration dances (Video) | Best catches
• Vogelsong helps Giants force deciding Game 7 | Scutaro stays hot
• Retaliation attempt fails for Danica Patrick (Video)
• Y! Shine: How to make classic Buffalo wings at home