Nate Diaz's UFC 202 fine reduced; Tony Ferguson says Diaz should fight or retire

Dana White claims Nate Diaz has turned down multiple offers to return to the Octagon. (Getty)
Dana White claims Nate Diaz has turned down multiple offers to return to the Octagon. (Getty)

The Nevada Athletic Commission reduced Conor McGregor’s punishment last month for the UFC 202 melee with Nate Diaz from a $75,000 fine and 50 hours of community service to a $25,000 fine and 25 hours of community service.

Based off of that, it appeared likely Diaz would get the same courtesy as his original punishment was a $50,000 fine and 50 hours of community service.

During their monthly meeting on Wednesday, the NAC reduced Diaz’s punishment to a $15,000 fine and 15 hours of community service.

The incident took place when McGregor showed up late to the UFC 202 presser. When McGregor started talking, Diaz got up and walked with his entourage into the back of the David Copperfield Theater in Las Vegas. Diaz’s team started hurling water bottles and McGregor in response started throwing some things, including a Monster Energy can.

Diaz’s attorney Sam Awad said his client already paid the fine to the commission which means he should receive a refund.

Diaz lost the fight at UFC 202 against McGregor. He hasn’t fought since.

Dana White said in February he offered Diaz a fight against Eddie Alvarez. The Stockton, California, native chuckled at the idea. He stated he wants a trilogy fight against McGregor and if it isn’t a fight with him, then he isn’t interested.

With McGregor likely fighting Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match later in 2017, Diaz won’t be getting his wish anytime soon.

Could anyone else pull Diaz back into the Octagon?

Tony Ferguson was scheduled to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 209 but the latter was pulled from the fight due to weight-cutting issues. In an interview with the Las Vegas Review Journal, Ferguson made a case for a fight with Diaz. He also said if Diaz isn’t willing to change his tune and step inside the Octagon against him, Diaz should stop the charade and retire.

“I’m down for the battle of California,” Ferguson said. “[Diaz] wants to represent 209. I’m from 805 in the Oxnard area. I think, obviously, my hands are a lot better. I think this game is about the glory and not all about the money. Obviously you have to make your piece in this industry but [expletive], Nate, if you don’t want to fight, move on. Retire. Go do something else because we’re here to fight in this industry and everybody else is taken so Nate would be the next one up.”

Ferguson can talk all he wants, but none of it will likely affect Diaz’s mindset. Diaz plays to the beat of his own drum. That will likely continue in this case.

Popular MMA video on Yahoo Sports:

What to Read Next