The season-ending banquets for the Xfinity Series and Camping World Truck Series are on the move again.
NASCAR announced Tuesday the celebrations of the 2017 seasons will be held in Charlotte. The banquets will be held on Dec. 9 at a ballroom in the Charlotte Convention Center. Previously, the banquets have been held on the Monday in Miami after the last race of the season in Miami.
“Hosting the awards in Charlotte provides an opportunity to honor these series’ champions in a year-end, week-long celebration of their own,” NASCAR chief marketing officer Jill Gregory said in a statement. “This will allow for broader participation by the entire industry — teams, partners and fans alike — and promises to be an even bigger event that honors our deserved champions.”
The move to Charlotte may give the banquets a permanent home after a couple of years of flux. NASCAR announced in 2015 that it wouldn’t be having the banquets at the Trump National Doral any longer. The announcement came after now-President Donald Trump’s intolerant and insensitive comments regarding immigrants when he launched his presidential campaign.
NASCAR’s decision was also after Camping World CEO Marcus Lemonis said he wouldn’t attend any NASCAR events at a Trump property. In February of 2016, NASCAR CEO Brian France endorsed Trump at a campaign event in Georgia. It was a curious decision for a number of reasons, including his series’ decision to move the banquets less than eight months earlier.
The banquets in 2015 and 2016 were held in Miami Beach.
More NASCAR on Yahoo Sports:
– – – – – – –