Chris Gillespie, Gamecock Central
South Carolina's annual Garnet & Black Game took place on Saturday at Williams-Brice Stadium. Head coach Will Muschamp updated his team afterwards with the media. Several highlights from his post-game comments:
- Offensively, the team is further along, and should be with the returners they have, Muschamp said. They have an opportunity to have a good offensive team, but it's just an opportunity. They need to get healthy with AJ Turner and Dreak Davis back and have to find some answers up front.
- Jamarcus will have a plate put in his forearm, it was cracked, but he'll be lifting in a couple weeks and will be fine. Steven Montac is fine as well.
- Chris Lammons sprained his arch and practiced Thursday, he's missed some spring practice. Hutcherson sprained his ankle but it's not a high ankle sprain. He'll be back in around a week and a half. DJ Park had minor shoulder injury.
- Defensively, there are some concerns because there are some unknowns and they have some guys not on campus yet that will need to help them. The coverage at times was suspect, Muschamp said.
- Overall, Muschamp was pleased with the progress. There are some areas they need to improve in that did improve.
- Muschamp on Ty'Son Williams: He had a really good spring camp. He's a violent runner, north and south, and is similar running style to Rico Dowdle.
- Credit goes to Jake and the entire offense to get out of a bad protection or a bad run. Last season, they couldn't do that. The offense is further along and understands more. They weren't free runners with pressures against the defense, and got a hat on a hat blocking.
- Skai Moore is completely healthy. USC did a drill recently in which you get hit up top and he had no hesitation. He's a competitive guy.
- USC will probably only have one scrimmage in the preseason to get ready based on where they are depth-wise.
- Alexander Woznick had an outstanding spring, Muschamp said. At one point, he was 21/23 in the spring in one minute situations. He missed a short one today, but the other ones were long ones and he had the leg. Parker White and Joseph Charlton did well kicking off and Charlton/Michael Almond are locked in a battle for punter. The ability is there, Muschamp said, but you never know until they do it live. Losing Drew Williams at snapper, you lose something because he was good snapping and going down to cover.
- Muschamp congratulated Dawn Staley on making the national title game and Frank Martin for making the Final Four. Muschamp said he told his guys that it's time for them to do something in football.
- The spring evaluation period for football is huge. Character, transcript, academics are key to track the right kind of guys as well as critical factors at each position athletically.