The Miami Marlins have hired Mike Redmond as their new manager, the team announced Thursday.
The former catcher received a three-year contract, as the team moved quickly to replace Ozzie Guillen, who was fired last week. The Marlins recently fired Ozzie Guillen, and also interviewed Larry Bowa, Luis Gonzalez, Lloyd McClendon and Bryan Price.
Redmond had been managing High-A Dunedin in the Toronto Blue Jays organization. He had been viewed as a favorite.
He played for the Marlins from 1998-2004, and batted .287 in 13 major-league seasons.
---Former Major League Baseball pitcher Pascual Perez has been killed during a robbery at his Dominican Republic home, according to a listindiario.com report.
The report said that a possible motive for the attack/robbery may have been because Perez has just received his MLB pension payment. Local police are still investigating.
Perez was 55. In 11 seasons, Perez went 67-68 with a 3.44 ERA. He was an All-Star with the Atlanta Braves in 1983 and also pitched for the Montreal Expos, Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Yankees.
While pitching for the Expos on Aug. 19, 1982, Perez famously missed a start while circling Interstate 285 in search of Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. Two of his brothers, Melido and Carlos, also pitched in the big leagues, as well as a cousin, Yorkis.
---Former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling and some former officials of his now defunct video-game company were sued Thursday by the Rhode Island economic development agency, according to multiple reports.
The suit stems from the $75 million loan guarantee given to 38Studios. It comes after the company filed for bankruptcy.
In addition to Schilling, the suit names former EDC officials Keith Stokes and Michael Saul, two law firms who worked with the agency, and ex-38 Studios officials.
Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee said the EDC board authorized the suit to get back some of the state's money.
"My message to Rhode Islanders is this: I know that you work hard for your paychecks, and for your tax dollars to be squandered is unacceptable," Chafee said in a video statement. "The Board's legal action was taken to rectify a grave injustice put upon the people of Rhode Island."
---Baseball lifer Don Zimmer is returning for a 65th yeah in professional baseball.
Zimmer will return to the Tampa Bay Rays as a senior adviser, his 10th season with the club. The 81-year-old said in a statement Thursday that he couldn't be happier.
Zimmer has worn a uniform with 13 different major-league teams. His 10th season with the Rays will match the decade he spent with the New York Yankees for his longest tenure with one team.
---Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz is "likely" to become a free agent, according to a WEEI.com report.
The exclusive negotiation window between Ortiz and the Red Sox closes Saturday, and the sides aren't close on a deal.
Ortiz batted .318 with 23 homers in 2012.
---Free agent reliever Francisco Rodriguez was charged with one count of domestic abuse Wednesday.
The charge comes from an alleged incident with his girlfriend in September. If convicted of the misdemeanor, the right-hander could face up to nine months in jail and $10,000 in fines.
---Atlanta Braves outfielder Jordan Schafer was claimed Thursday off waivers from the Houston Astros.
Schafer, 26, returns to the team that drafted him. He batted .211 in 106 games with Houston in 2012.
---Pitcher turned outfielder Rick Ankiel may be considering pitching again, according to a St. Louis Post-Dispatch report.
Ankiel, 33, was released by the Washington Nationals in July after batting .228 in 171 plate appearances as a reserve outfielder.
He began his career as a starting pitcher before control problems and injuries forced him to switch to hitting.
---Washington Nationals first baseman Adam LaRoche and reliever Sean Burnett declined their mutual options for 2013, and will become free agents.
LaRoche, 32, is seeking a multiyear deal after a 33-homer campaign.
Burnett, 30, posted a 2.38 ERA in 56 2/3 innings last season.