Mets pound Diamondbacks after rain delay

Jerry Beach, The Sports Xchange
The SportsXchange

NEW YORK -- The New York Mets waited more than two months to bust out offensively at Citi Field, so they didn't mind when it took two hours to build their biggest inning of the season.
The Mets scored seven runs in a seventh inning interrupted by a one-hour, 41-minute rain delay Tuesday night, and they routed the Arizona Diamondbacks 9-1 in front of 21,500 at Citi Field.
The seven-run seventh was the biggest inning of the year for the Mets, who ended a National League-record streak of 30 consecutive home games in which they didn't score more than five runs. Prior to Tuesday, the Mets last scored more than five runs at Citi Field in a 7-3, 10-inning win over the Los Angeles Dodgers on April 24.
"We haven't had that in a while," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "I know we haven't scored a lot of runs here in this ballpark, so seven was pretty good, Just took an hour and a half to finally get 'em."
With a heavy rain falling at Citi Field, the Mets' first four batters in the seventh inning all reached against Diamondbacks starter Patrick Corbin.
David Wright led off with a single and went to third on Marlon Byrd's double to left-center field. Josh Satin followed with a go-ahead RBI double just beyond the grasp of a diving A.J. Pollock, who seemed to have the ball for a split-second before losing control of it.
Andrew Brown then walked to load the bases before umpires waved the players off the field at 8:54 p.m. ET. Once play resumed, Anthony Recker -- whose solo homer in the fifth provided the first run of the game -- laced an RBI single on the third pitch he saw from Brad Ziegler.
"We had a lot of momentum going -- bases loaded, nobody out -- and I was coming up and I was really excited for the at-bat," Recker said. "When they decided to put the tarp on, I was a little bummed out, but it just worked out. I was able to still put a good at-bat together after the rain delay."
The Mets poured it on after that with a two-run single from Omar Quintanilla, a two-run double from Eric Young and an RBI single from Juan Lagares. The inning finally ended at 10:49 p.m.
"The inning got away from us," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said.
New York sent 11 batters to the plate in the seventh, which, with the rain delay, lasted longer than the first 6 1/2 innings. The game was one hour and 43 minutes old when it was delayed.
"I just thought if we got a couple more runs that inning that it would make a big difference," Collins said. "I certainly didn't expect a seven-run explosion, but we'll take it."
Quintanilla added an RBI single in the eighth for the Mets (35-45), who have won five of their last seven and 11 of their last 17. The top eight players in the Mets' lineup all had at least one hit.
"We've definitely been swinging the bats a lot better, even the last month or so," Recker said. "We weren't getting any good results earlier this month, but we're starting to now. And obviously you can tell we're playing better, we're starting to win some games."
Jeremy Hefner (3-6) earned the win, allowing just one run on four hits and two walks with six strikeouts over seven innings.
The Diamondbacks (42-41) lost for the fifth straight time and the eighth time in their last nine games. Arizona remained 1 1/2 games ahead of Colorado in the NL West, where the five teams are separated by just three games.
Corbin's perfect season came to a screeching halt in the defeat. Corbin (9-1) allowed just three hits in the first six innings but ended up being charged with a season-high five runs on six hits and one walk. He struck out four.
Corbin allowed more than two runs in just three of his first 16 starts.
Arizona starters have gone 24 straight games without recording a win, tied for the longest streak in team history.
"We're not really clicking on anything right now," Corbin said.
Martin Prado homered in the seventh and finished 3-for-4 for the Diamondbacks.
NOTES: Fans who stuck around through the rain delay watched and cheered as the scoreboard showed MLB Network's broadcast of the final three outs of RHP Homer Bailey's no-hitter for the Cincinnati Reds. ... Gibson said before the game that RHP Heath Bell would get Arizona's next save opportunity. Gibson said regular closer J.J. Putz, who came off the disabled list Saturday and blew the save in Monday's 5-4, 13-inning loss, will work earlier in the game until he gets his arm strength back. Putz missed more than seven weeks with a right elbow strain. Bell had 12 saves in Putz's absence. ... Diamondbacks RF Gerardo Parra got the day off, less than 24 hours after he landed face-first on the warning track in pursuit of Quintanilla's eighth-inning triple. Parra had bruises on his face and arms and said he didn't sleep well Monday night. The day off was the first for him since April 30. ... Before the game, the Mets recalled RHP Gonzalez Germen from Triple-A Las Vegas and optioned INF Zach Lutz to Las Vegas. ... Mets minor league OF Matt den Dekker, who suffered a broken right wrist on March 24, was promoted from Class A St. Lucie to Triple-A Las Vegas on Monday. He hit .274 in 14 games for St. Lucie.

What to Read Next