A representative of former Pro Bowl linebacker Shawne Merriman called reports of a drug overdose "absurd" after Merriman was released from a hospital Monday morning.
Merriman, who was seen partying at a Hollywood night club Sunday night, was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center about 9:30 p.m. and released a few hours later.
Reports surfaced Monday morning that Merriman had overdosed on drugs, but he said he was simply dehydrated.
Merriman contacted TMZ to deny the earlier media reports.
"I didn't feel well and they called the ambulance for me to make sure I was good," Merriman said. "...They told me to drink some fluids and sent me on my way."
He apparently went back to The Colony, the same the night club he was previously.
"That's absurd ... if you had a drug overdose, you wouldn't be at a club right after," a Merriman representative told TMZ.
The Los Angeles Times had reported that Merriman overdosed on a combination of drugs and alcohol.
Merriman, 29, retired in March after an eight-year career that included three consecutive Pro Bowls from 2005-07. He played for the San Diego Chargers (2005-10) and Buffalo Bills (2010-12).