Don't prepare the retrospectives on Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s career just yet.
The world junior-middleweight and welterweight champion said Monday that he might not hang up his gloves as soon as he previously planned, ESPN.com reported.
Mayweather, 36, announced earlier this year that he would retire following the completion of a 30-month, six-fight contract with Showtime/CBS, according to ESPN.com.
He subsequently beat Robert Guerrero on May 4 to improve to 44-0 with 26 knockouts.
"After my five more fights, guess what? I think after (getting to) 49-0 we may stay in this sport a little longer," Mayweather said at the Alamo in San Antonio, ESPN.com reported.
Referring to his upcoming junior-middleweight unification bout against Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KOs), Mayweather added, "This Sept. 14, it's just another walk in the park."
The fight, in Las Vegas, will air on Showtime pay per view.
Mayweather's promotional appearance at the Alamo wasn't without controversy. KENS-TV interview people who opposed using the historic site as the locale for a promotional press conference.
"This would not happen at Gettysburg. Alamo Plaza is where Bowie and Travis fell," Texas land commissioner Jerry Patterson told the TV station. "It should be treated as the hallowed ground that it is."
Other onlookers said they felt the Alamo was an appropriate site to promote a match between American and Mexican boxing stars.