Los Angeles Dodgers minority owner Magic Johnson told USA Today that the club will not pursue pending free agent second baseman Robinson Cano.
Cano is reportedly seeking a $300 million contract.
"I can't talk about the other guy," Johnson said Thursday, "but you already know that guy in New York is going to be paid. Not by us, but he's going to get paid."
Cano, 30, is a career .309 hitter averaging 28 home runs and 102 RBIs over the past five seasons with the Yankees.
ESPN reported last week that Cano will go with the highest bidder.
Johnson said the Dodgers' top priority is re-signing left-handed ace Clayton Kershaw, who led the majors with a 1.83 ERA. Kershaw struck out 12 batters in seven innings Thursday to help the Dodgers beat the Atlanta Braves 6-1 in Game 1 of the National League Division Series.
Kershaw will also command a huge free agent contract.
"We're not worried about that," Johnson said. "We already know we've got to give him a lot of money. What's a few more zeroes, I mean, really?"
The Dodgers started the season with a $214.8 million payroll. The New York Yankees are the only other team to top $200 million.
Johnson said the team will also visit with manager Don Mattingly, whose contract is up at the end of the season.
"Donnie has been pushing the right buttons and the fans love him," Johnson said. "But this is not the time to talk contract right now. After this is over with, everybody will see where they are and go from there. So, right now, we just want to enjoy this moment."