The 2016 Major League Baseball All-Star game rosters were technically set Friday, when the Final Vote candidates were announced. But fans know those rosters aren’t actually final. Due to injuries and the way certain rotations are set up, a number of replacements are normally added to the roster in the days leading up the contest.
This year was no different. So, in order to keep you up to date on which players you’ll see take the field Tuesday, we decided to compile the lists here. If you want to see the original rosters released Wednesday, head here.
Or, you can check this out:
Here are your 2016 American and National League All-Star rosters. pic.twitter.com/1prQkGxYEG
— MLB Communications (@MLB_PR) July 6, 2016
FINAL VOTE WINNERS
The winners of this year’s Final Vote were San Francisco Giants first baseman Brandon Belt and Toronto Blue Jays outfielder Michael Saunders.
AMERICAN LEAGUE REPLACEMENTS
• Blue Jays pitcher Aaron Sanchez will replace Craig Kimbrel on the AL roster. Shortly after being named to the club, Kimbrel tore his meniscus. He will miss 3-6 weeks.
• Chicago White Sox pitcher Jose Quintana will take the place of Cleveland Indians starter Danny Salazar. Salazar is dealing a minor elbow issue, and decided to pass on taking part in the game.
• The Indians will also send Corey Kluber. He replaced Blue Jays starter Marco Estrada after Estrada was placed on the 15-day DL.
NATIONAL LEAGUE REPLACEMENTS
• New York Mets pitcher Barolo Colon will take the place of Madison Bumgarner on the NL roster. Bumgarner isn’t hurt, but pitched Sunday night and would have been unavailable for the contest. Bumgarner made sure to turn in one heck of a start, nearly tossing a no-hitter.
• Washington Nationals pitcher Max Scherzer will replace teammate Stephen Strasburg on the roster. Strasburg just came off the disabled list in early July, and doesn’t want to push it by pitching in the All-Star game.
• San Diego Padres pitcher Drew Pomeranz will take the place of Mets pitcher Noah Syndergaard. Syndergaard complained of a dead arm during his last outing and is pitching with a bone spur in his elbow this year.
• St. Louis Cardinals shortstop Aledmys Diaz will replace teammate Matt Carpenter in the infield. Carpenter injured himself shortly after making the team.
• Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Starling Marte will replace Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes. Cespedes left a recent game with a quad injury.
• Cincinnati Reds outfielder Jay Bruce will take the place of Dexter Fowler. Fowler was hoping to play in the game despite a hamstring injury, but decided it was for the best to wait it out.
Neither manager has announced their starters just yet, though it’s thought Kansas City Royals manager Ned Yost will tab White Sox pitcher Chris Sale for the honor. He’ll have to compete with Cole Hamels, Steven Wright and teammate Jose Quintana for the honor.
In the NL, it’s a bit more difficult. Both Bumgarner and Syndergaard have been replaced, so Terry Collins has his choice of Jake Arrieta, Johnny Cueto or Jose Fernandez.
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:
– – – – – – –