Free agent center Gustavo Ayon is considering an offer to play in China next season per reports.
Free agent center Gustavo Ayon is preparing to play in the FIBA World Cup with Mexico but his professional future is still undecided. Ayon suffered through an injury plagued campaign last season with Atlanta and has failed to garner any significant interest on the free agent market although he does have an offer to play in China next season.
Gustavo Ayon: 'I have an offer from China' http://t.co/rbJ90v2UKV— Sportando (@sportando) August 25, 2014
Ayon appeared in just 26 games with the Hawks during the 2014 season and finished with averages of 4.3 points and 4.8 rebounds. Atlanta acquired Ayon by claiming off of waivers from the Milwaukee Bucks last summer. The Hawks declined to issue Ayon a qualifying offer this summer thus making him an unrestricted free agent.
Best case scenario for Ayon is that he uses the FIBA World Cup as a stage to show everyone that he is fully recovered from last season's shoulder injury. He put up a strong performance with Mexico last summer at the FIBA Americas but never could stay healthy long enough to have an impact with the Hawks.
More from sbnation.com:
- USA Basketball cuts include Atlanta's Kyle Korver
- Could the Atlanta Hawks be the best fit for Eric Bledsoe?
- Peachtree Hoops Mailbag: Talking Lou Williams trade, John Jenkins and more
- 2014 WNBA Playoffs: 2nd Quarter lull proves costly for Atlanta
- Hawks officially re-sign Shelvin Mack
- Atlanta Hawks announce 2014 Preseason Schedule