Georgia 34, Tennessee 31 (OT)

Anthony Dasher, The Sports Xchange
The SportsXchange

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Well, this certainly wasn't what the experts projected -- not overtime between two teams that looked to be on different ends of the SEC spectrum.
But in the end, it was sixth-ranked Georgia that eked out the 34-31 win Saturday on a 42-yard field goal by Marshall Morgan on the first possession of the extra period to save the day and perhaps the season for the Bulldogs.
Talk about a crazy finish.
Pig Howard appeared to have given the Vols the first lead of overtime but lost control of the ball and fumbled through the end zone, giving the Bulldogs the ball and a chance to win the game.
Morgan did that, drilling his kick to send Georgia players swarming onto the field.
Tennessee coach Butch Jones almost got the signature moment he was looking for.
Rajion Neal's 7-yard run with 1:54 left in regulation seemed to put the game away. But Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray, much like he did last week against LSU, brought the Bulldogs back and sent the game into overtime when he zipped a 2-yard pass to Rantavious Wooten with just five seconds left in regulation.
Bulldogs injuries added to Saturday's intrigue.
One week after losing star tailback Todd Gurley for an unspecified time to a sprained left ankle, the Bulldogs (5-1, 3-0) potentially were dealt an even harsher blow with backup Keith Marshall was forced to leave late in the first quarter with an apparent knee injury.
Leading 3-0, Georgia was driving when Murray attempted a pass to Marshall, who was hit on the right knee by the helmet of cornerback Cameron Sutton and had to be helped from the field.
Unfortunately, that wasn't all.
Starting wide receivers Michael Bennett, who missed most of last year with a torn ACL, and Justin Scott-Wesley both went down with third-quarter injuries and did not return.
Bennett suffered a knee injury and Scott-Wesley had an unspecified injury. He also did not return to the game.
The Bulldogs could have used them.
Georgia appeared to have the game in control, up 17-3 on first-half touchdown passes of 1 to Chris Conley and 4 to Wooten.
But the Vols found a way to get right back into the game.
First, it was a diving 19-yard touchdown catch by freshman Marquez North before Tennessee scored on a blocked punt by a Jalen Reeves-Maybin that Devaun Swafford scooped up and returned 15 yards for a touchdown with 1:25 left in the third quarter.
However, Georgia had an answer, getting an uncharacteristic run of 57 yards by Murray to the Tennessee 4 to set up Brendan Douglas' 2-yard run to put the Bulldogs back up 24-17 on the first play of the fourth quarter.
On Tennessee's ensuing drive, the Bulldogs appeared to have the Vols (3-3, 0-2) stopped on fourth-and-5 before a defensive delay of game moved Tennessee just inches from first down inside Georgia territory.
The Vols went for the first down, and Neal got that and more, taking a pitch 44 yards for a first down. Neal later scored on a 1-yard run to tie it with just over 12 minutes to play.
NOTES: With his 19-of-35 passing effort, Murray became the SEC's career passing leader. ... Beside Gurley, Georgia also played without starting free safety Tray Matthews, who remained in Athens after straining a hamstring on Tuesday. Backup Connor Norman also did not play, evidently because of a concussion. ... Saturday marked the first time the Vols donned their new adidas Smokey Gray uniforms, which were unveiled Aug. 15 at Tennessee's media day. ... Georgia freshman J.J. Green replaced Marshall and rushed 17 times for a career-high 129 yards.