Georgetown beats Maryland on penalty kicks in national semifinals

Steve Irvine, The Sports Xchange
The SportsXchange

HOOVER, Ala. - Before Friday's game, Georgetown had never beaten Maryland in a men's soccer game that counted in the win-loss ledger.
The Hoyas picked a doozy of a time to end a streak that began in 1952 and had reached 28 in row after the teams last played in 2009. And the streak-busting win, which came in the Men's Soccer College Cup semifinals at Regions Park, was a riveting game, as the teams battled to a 4-4 tie through two overtime periods before Georgetown advanced to Sunday's national championship game by winning, 4-3, on penalty kicks.
The hero turned out to be Georgetown goalkeeper Tomas Gomez, who made saves on the final two penalty kicks to set off a wild celebration.
It was Georgetown (20-3-2) getting the most quality scoring opportunities early in the game with Brandon Allen and Tyler Rudy nearly scoring in the first eight minutes. Eventually, the opportunities turned into goals but not before Maryland (20-2-2) struck first. The Terrapins' opening goal came at the 34-minute mark when Dakota Edwards directed a pass to Patrick Mullins, who headed the ball to Schillo Tshuma just outside the goal mouth. Tshuma headed the ball past Gomez to get Maryland on the board first.
That lead held up until Georgetown's Steve Neumann took over with just under 13 minutes left in the half. Neumann's first goal of the game came at the 12:48 mark when he gathered in a pass from Ian Christianson, and blasted a shot that beat Keith Cardona in the left corner.
Ninety-one seconds later, Neumann rocketed a shot from about 22 yards away that bounced off the left post and settled into the goal for a 2-1 Georgetown lead. Both teams ended the first half with six shot. but Georgetown had more quality opportunities.
Georgetown's lead grew to 3-1 less than four minutes into the second half on a goal that was a mixture of a critical blunder by Cardona and hustle by Georgetown Andy Riemer. Cardona was trying to clear the ball but failed when Riemer hustled back to get his left leg on the clearing attempt and the ball caromed into the goal.
Maryland answered on Tshuma's second goal of the game with just over 31 minutes left in regulation, but Georgetown had a quick answer. The Hoyas' final goal in regulation play began with Riemer breaking away from a defender, racing down the left side and directing a crisp pass to Neumann, who directed the ball into the goal.
But Maryland wouldn't go away. The Terrapins used goals by Mullins and Christiano Francois in the final 17 minutes to force the overtime period.

What to Read Next