Georgetown 79, UConn 78 (2 OT)

Mike Shalin, The Sports Xchange
The SportsXchange

STORRS, Conn. - Seventh-ranked Georgetown blew a five-point lead in the final 10 seconds of regulation, but then rallied from seven down in the second overtime and pulled out a wild 79-78 victory at Gampel Pavilion Wednesday n night.
Calvin Porter Jr. hit a driving layup with 9.5 seconds left and UConn, out of timeouts, didn't get a good look for a possible game-winning shot as time ran out: Ryan Boatright heaved up an airball from the right corner that didn't hit the rim.
Connecticut won't be going to the NCAA or any other tournament when the March fun begins. The Huskies will be home, ineligible for the postseason festivities because of an infractions battle with the NCAA.
So, in a way, this game was the season for these kids; and they almost pulled out an incredible win before a frenzied crowd.
UConn led 78-71 with 2:03 left but didn't score again in falling to 19-8, 9-6 in the Big East.
Down 78-74, D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera hit a 3-pointer with 50.3 seconds left to cut it to one. A Shabazz Napier turnover led to Porter's winner, which gave Georgetown its 10th straight win and lifted the Hoyas to 22-4, 12-3 in a battle of two charter members of the conference.
The Huskies, down by 12 with 4 1/2 minutes left in regulation, scored five points in the last 10 seconds, all by Omar Calhoun, who nailed a 3-pointer with 2.2 seconds left to force the overtime.
Both teams led in the first OT, but when neither could score over the final 2:29. DeAndre Daniels started the second OT with a 3-pointer from the left corner and UConn led until Porter capped the 8-0 run that ended the game.
Porter, who had 33 of his team's 57 points in the win at No. 8 Syracuse that lifted Georgetown into the top 10 for the first time this season, had one point and took one shot in the first half but finished with 22 points. Markel Starks had 19 and Smith-Rivera 14.
Porter is the two-time-reigning Big East player of the week.
Daniels led UConn with 25 points and 10 rebounds, Napier scored all 16 of his points after halftime and played most of the second half on an injured ankle. Boatright had 11 points and eight assists.
It took Georgetown the first 20 minutes to score 19 points; but the Hoyas needed just 11:06 of the second half to score 34 as they made it rain 3-pointers.
After a first half that featured nothing but defense and turnovers, Georgetown, 1-for-5 from 3-point range in the first half, hit eight of its first nine 3-pointers in the second. UConn, which also couldn't shoot in the first half, did what it could to keep pace with bombs of its own, but it looked like the Huskies were dead. They weren't.
The game was a defensive battle from the start. UConn survived going almost eight minutes without a field goal; Georgetown went just over 11 minutes without a bucket. And even though the Huskies managed to build a six-point lead with 2:38 left in the half, the Hoyas scored the last three points of the half to trail by three at the break.
Georgetown was averaging 12.5 turnovers and UConn 12. But in the first half, both teams coughed it up nine times in a defensive war.
At the half, UConn was shooting 34.6 percent from the floor, Georgetown just 28.6, both teams going 1-for-5 from 3-point range.
NOTES: UConn freshman Philip Nolan scored four points in the first half, his first Big East points and his basket was his first since Dec. 17. ... Georgetown has posted double-figure conference wins in six of the last seven years. ... This was the third of four UConn conference games at its campus facility. The Huskies came in 148-22 all-time at Gampel, 76-18 in the Big East, 3-0 against the Hoyas. There does not appear to be specific reasons why some games are at Gampel and others at the XL Center in Hartford. The Hoyas hadn't visited Gampel since 2005. ... Georgetown hosts Rutgers Saturday, while UConn opens a two-game road trip at Cincinnati. ... Georgetown came in No 2 in the league and No. 7 in the country in points allowed per game, 55.7. ... Georgetown's Nate Lubick came in shooting 59.1 percent from the floor for the season, tops in the Big East and seventh in the country. ... UConn has already clinched its 26th straight winning season. Calhoun's first team at the school went 9-19 in 1986-87 and things quickly turned around, with national titles in 1999, 2004 and 2011. Calhoun sits at the baseline for home games; and no, he doesn't yell at the officials.

What to Read Next