Three of the bigger cuts on Saturday for the Cleveland Browns included TE MarQueis Gray, OG Garrett Gilkey, and CB Leon McFadden. We wondered if the Browns might be able to get some or all of them on the practice squad, but that is not possible now as all three players were claimed off waivers by other teams in the NFL.
- TE MarQueis Gray (Minnesota Vikings) - It has to be a great feeling for Grey, considering he is returning to the state where he played quarterback and wide receiver in college (Minnesota Golden Gophers from 2009 to 2012). Gray also has the connection to Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner, who was his offensive coordinator as a rookie in 2013 with the Browns.
- OG Garrett Gilkey (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) - The Buccaneers have been in desperate search for help at the offensive guard position, so they'll take the former sixth-rounder and see what he can do. This also involves a connection to a former coach -- George Warhop, who is the offensive line coach for the Buccaneers, was Cleveland's offensive line coach when Gilkey was a rookie in 2013.
- CB Leon McFadden (New York Jets) - This one doesn't involve a coaching connection, but when you're a third-round pick from a year ago, you really don't need one. Maybe McFadden will get an opportunity to catch on with a Jets team that has cornerback depth issues, but in Cleveland, he just drew way too many penalties.
As of this post, it doesn't sound like any other players cut by the Browns were signed by other teams. That means RB Dion Lewis and RB Chris Ogbonnaya are free agents, as are a handful of other players who were not signed to a practice squad.
More from sbnation.com:
- Cleveland Browns Roster Cuts: The Final 53-Man Roster
- NFL Roster Cuts Open Thread (for Browns fans)
- Report: Browns Make 4 Surprising Cuts in RB Dion Lewis, RB Chris Ogbonnaya, WR Nate Burleson, OG Garrett Gilkey
- Report: Browns Roster Cuts Now Include CB Leon McFadden
- Joe Banner Talks about Getting Fired from the Browns