Florida, in the midst of one of its biggest recruiting events of the spring - the annual Orange & Blue Debut Spring Game - got the ball rolling early this morning when head coach Jim McElwain announced a new 2019 commitment via Twitter:
The tweet was in reference to Homestead (Fla.) South Dade athlete Tyrique Stevenson.
Inside the Gators caught up with the 6-foot-1, 180-pounder for a quick update while he was being shuffled around campus/town in a van:
Because the background noise made it difficult to hear, he will be paraphrased rather than quoted.
* Stevenson said that he has offers from Florida and Central Florida.
* He has always liked Florida and when he was offered a little while ago, that is when he decided that is where he wanted to go.
* When he got on campus, he was asked when he was ready to be a Gator, he said now - and committed.
* Though he is listed as an athlete, he said Florida likes him as a defensive back.
* He called Florida defensive backs coach Corey Bell a great coach.