ESPN has been releasing summer predictions over the last couple weeks and today they picked the 2014-15 Western Conference Champion.
It is hard to argue with the voting. The Spurs have been the Western Conference champions the last two years and won the NBA title last year. Every year we say, "Well they are one year older," but the way they dominated the Miami Heat in the finals last season indicates they are not slowing down anytime soon.
However, there's no reason the Thunder can't come out of the West this season. Injuries have rattled their chances the last couple seasons. If they can stay relatively healthy, that's a big if, then the Thunder will have a legit shot to overtake the almighty Spurs and play in the 2015 finals.
I am not surprised the Clippers finished third. They were the consensus third best team in the conference all throughout last year and with not much change at the top of the conference, they probably will be again.
All three of these teams are legit NBA title contenders and while the Spurs may be the favorite for the summer forecast, there's a reason it is a forecast. Anything can happen.
More from sbnation.com:
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Preliminary Games Schedule
- SB Nation NBA Theme Day: What Will Be Going On With the Thunder in 12 Months?
- 2012 Thunder vs 1996 Sonics game 3 recap: OKC falls to Sonics in OT thriller, 104-99
- Team USA Crushes Brazil, 95-78
- Kevin Durant to Under Armour rumors: Do they mean anything for his future with the Thunder?
- The "New" Cavaliers, and how the Thunder match up