Eagles 23, Buccaneers 21

Jenna Laine, Sports Xchange
The SportsXchange

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Philadelphia Eagles scored two touchdowns in the final four minutes -- the last on a 1-yard Nick Foles pass to Jeremy Maclin as time expired -- to overcome the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23-21 at Raymond James Stadium.
The Eagles converted a fourth-and-5 on a 22-yard pass from Foles to Jason Avant with 16 seconds remaining. On the final play, Maclin sprinted to the outside right of the end zone, and he managed to keep both feet in bounds on the catch. The play was reviewed, but the ruling on the field stood.
Tampa Bay produced three second-half scoring drives, but it wasn't enough.
Foles, named the Eagles' starting quarterback for the remainder of the season by coach Andy Reid, completed 32 of 51 passes for 381 yards and two touchdowns.
Foles also scored on a 10-yard second-quarter run, set up by a 39-yard catch from Avant, who caught seven passes for 133 yards. Avant also made a one-handed grab on a 20-yard pass, setting up a 28-yard field goal by Alex Henery before halftime.
The Eagles' kicker two missed field-goal attempts, with the ball going wide left on 58- and 31-yard tries.
Tampa Bay struggled offensively most of the day, with quarterback Josh Freeman completing 14 of 34 passes for 189 yards and two touchdowns.
The Bucs caught a break in the third quarter when Dekoda Watson recovered a muffed punt by Damaris Johnson at the Philadelphia 5-yard line. Freeman connected with Mike Williams on a 1-yard touchdown, cutting the Eagles' lead to 10-7.
The Buccaneers followed with a 13-yard touchdown strike from Freeman to Vincent Jackson early in the fourth quarter. Then with 7:26 remaining, Doug Martin punched in a 4-yard touchdown run. The Bucs rookie running back rushed for 128 yards on 28 carries.
Foles' 11-yard pass to tight end Clay Harbor with 3:55 to go put the Eagles on top 21-16. The two-point conversion pass failed.
The Tampa Bay defense sacked Foles six times but could not make enough key stops to prevent the Eagles' late offensive surge.
NOTES: Eagles tight end Brent Celek left the game in the first quarter with a concussion. ... Philadelphia fullback Stanley Havili left the game with an ankle injury but did return. ... Eagles cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha suffered a neck injury and thigh bruise but returned in the second half. ... Foles suffered an elbow contusion but returned. ... Tampa Bay defensive back Anthony Gaitor returned to action after being placed injured reserve/designated to return list with a hamstring injury. He finished with two solo tackles and one assist. ... The Buccaneers honored their 2002-03 Super Bowl championship team, commemorating the 10-year anniversary of the team's win over the Oakland Raiders in the Super Bowl. Nearly every member of the 2002 team was in attendance, including former head coach Jon Gruden, who spoke to the fans at halftime.

What to Read Next