The No. 16th ranked Auburn Tigers won their ninth straight, edging Georgia 2-1 Friday at Foley Field in front of a crowd of 2,283.
Georgia (9-14, 0-4 SEC) led 1-0 after freshman Will Proctor hit a triple followed by freshman Tucker Maxwell’s base hit in the fifth inning. However, the Tigers (19-5, 4-0 SEC) responded in the eighth inning scoring two unearned runs for a 2-1 advantage.
Georgia had a chance to rally in the ninth as Tucker Maxwell, Cam Shepard, and Michael Curry loaded the bases with two outs off Tiger closer Cole Lipscomb. Will Campbell drove a fly ball to deep center that was tracked down by Auburn’s Jonah Todd. The Bulldogs left 13 men on base.
Georgia senior Andrew Gist had an impressive start, pitching seven innings and recording a career high seven strikeouts and no walks but did not factor in the decision. Auburn senior Daniel Robert (1-0) picked up the win, tallied three strikeouts in 1.1 innings. Lipscomb allowed one hit and one walk in the ninth for his fifth save. Both Tiger runs were unearned and sophomore Kevin Smith was the tough luck losing pitcher, dropping to 1-3. Georgia dropped to 4-8 in one-run games this season.
The series continues Saturday with first pitch slated for 2pm EDT and will be available on SEC Network+ and the Bulldog Sports Network from IMG.
* Senior left-hander Andrew Gist set a career high with seven strikeouts
* Freshman CF Tucker Maxwell extended his on base streak to 18 games with a base hit in the fifth inning.
* Junior 1B Keegan McGovern extended his hitting streak to four games and his on base streak to 12 with a base hit in the first inning.*Sophomore DH Michael Curry extended his hitting streak to nine games with a base hit in the fourth inning.
* Freshman SS Cam Shepherd extends his hitting streak and base streak to eight games.
* Freshman 2B Will Proctor had his first career triple and becomes the second Bulldog this season to notch a triple alongside fellow freshman 3B Aaron Schunk.
"Andrew Gist was outstanding; he dominated that game, seven strikeouts no walks and he got us into the eighth inning. That's as good as he's thrown since Georgia Tech when he got us into the ninth inning. And we needed it, he struggled last weekend at LSU and he couldn't wait to get back out there and he gave us everything he had."