EAST LANSING — Authorities say a fourth Michigan State football player is being investigated in connection with criminal sexual misconduct.
Ingham County prosecutors said Thursday the investigation is separate from the one stemming from a January incident involving three players, whose suspensions from the MSU football team were announced Feb. 9. The names of all players have not been released, and no charges have been brought against the player under investigation.
Prosecutors say they don't know the date of the incident connected to the latest player, but it was reported to have happened in Meridian Township, near the East Lansing school.
“We are aware of a sexual assault investigation in Meridian Township involving one of our players,” Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio said in a statement released by the university shortly after 2 p.m. on Thursday “That player was immediately suspended on Sunday from all team activities as soon as we were notified of the situation.
“We will continue to educate and enforce high standards for the program. I expect all of our players to conduct themselves in a manner that reflects the values and principles of Michigan State University.
“This investigation is an ongoing process. It is not appropriate at this time for me to comment further on this matter.”
School and coaching officials haven't discussed specifics about the allegations or the investigations.
On Wednesday, during a Big Ten-mandated teleconference about spring football, Dantonio was asked if any players who played in the Green-White Game on April 1 had been suspended.
Dantonio acknowledged that there have been new suspensions, but downplayed the significance, and didn’t indicate whether the player played in the Green-White Game prior to this incident.
“We red-lock people from time to time,” Dantonio said. “We use the term ‘red-lock’ for various things. So yes there has been (a suspension). There’s constant people in and out of different situations. I think that’s normal.”