Veteran right tackle Eric Winston's stay with the Kansas Chiefs lasted just one season.
The Chiefs released Winston on Wednesday, one year after signing the 6-foot-7, 300-pound former University of Miami star to a four-year, $22 million contract.
"Just wanted to confirm that I have been released," Winston wrote, via Twitter. "Even though it was an incredibly tough year on and off the field last year, I wouldn't trade the relationships I made in KC and the overall experience I had for anything. It was an honor to be a Chief and I wish them nothing but the best in the future ... On to the next adventure!"
Winston was an outspoken critic of Chiefs fans this past season. He said he was "sickened" by their reaction when quarterback Matt Cassel was forced to leave a game against the Baltimore Ravens with a concussion.
The Kansas City Star said the release of Winston and the Chiefs using the franchise tag on Branden Albert paves the way for Texas A&M offensive lineman Luke Joeckel to be taken with the first overall pick in April's NFL Draft.
The 29-year-old Winston started all 16 games last year, helping to clear the way for running back Jamaal Charles to rush for an AFC-leading 1,509 yards.
He was scheduled to make $4.9 million this and would have a salary cap hit of $6.5 million.