The remaining Champions League playoff first legs were played out on Wednesday.
The remaining half of the Champions League league playoff first legs were played out on Wednesday. The two biggest teams in action, Zenit St. Petersburg and Porto, both picked up wins.
Zenit won away against Standard Liège, with Oleg Shatov's early goal enough to guarantee a slim victory. With an away goal, the Russian side should have more than enough to book their place in the group stages. Meanwhile, Porto eventually beat a stubborn Lille by the same scoreline, with Héctor Herrera netting an away goal just past the hour.
Elsewhere, Celtic were held to a 1-1 draw in Slovenia by Maribor, though Callum McGregor's away goal means they have the advantage heading into the return leg. Danish outfit Aalborg conceded an away goal in their score draw with Cypriot side APOEL, while Slovakia's Slovan Bratislava drew 1-1 at home to Belarus' BATE Borisov.
The reverse fixtures are to be played next week, on Tuesday 26 August.
Aalborg 1-1 APOEL
Slovan Bratislava 1-1 BATE
Standard Liège 0-1 Zenit St. Petersburg
Lille 0-1 Porto - Full match report here
Maribor 1-1 Celtic - Full match report here
More from sbnation.com:
- FIFA uphold FC Barcelona transfer ban
- Can Marseille and Marcelo Bielsa adapt to each other?
- DeAndre Yedlin ushering in the homegrown era of American soccer
- Cesc Fábregas won't help Chelsea in Europe, but will deliver a league title
- Manchester United CEO still doesn't know what he's doing
- The European soccer transfer market, explained