Carl Pelini resigned as Florida Atlantic head coach less than two years after taking the job because of what the school called illegal drug use.
FAU athletic director Pat Chun made the announcement Wednesday. The resignation is effective immediately and Pelini will not be allowed to meet with the team.
Defensive coordinator Pete Rekstis also was involved in the drug use and also resigned along with Pelini. No other coaches or players were involved, Chun said. He called the behavior unacceptable.
Pelini did not attend an afternoon news conference but issued a statement apologizing for "exercising poor judgment."
Offensive coordinator Brian Wright will become the interim coach. Linebackers coach Jevan DeWitt will fill Rekstis' spot as defensive coordinator.
The Owls, who suffered a 45-10 loss to Auburn last week, play host to Tulane on Saturday.
Pelini was in his second season at FAU. The Owls are 2-6 this year as a new member of Conference USA after posting a 3-9 record in 2012.
Pelini left his brother Bo Pelini's staff at Nebraska, where he served as defensive coordinator, to take the FAU job.
---Jay-Z's Roc Nation Sports could be in line to represent UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley if the redshirt sophomore decides to enter the NFL Draft next year.
According to a National Football Post report, representatives for Jay-Z's agency and Hundley have talked. Hundley is considered one of the top college quarterbacks and pro prospects who would be eligible for the 2014 draft.
In leading UCLA to a 5-2 record this season, Hundley has completed 67 percent of his passes for 1,725 yards and 14 touchdowns with eight interceptions. Four of the interceptions came in the past two games in losses to Oregon and Stanford.
Roc Nation Sports also has been linked to South Carolina defensive standout Jadeveon Clowney, who is considered a potential No. 1 draft pick.
Since Jay-Z formed his agency earlier this year, he has signed some high-profile clients, including New York Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith and New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano.
---A one-year ban from the Illinois campus will prevent the father of the Fighting Illini's starting quarterback from attending home games for the rest of the season.
Nate Creer was watching his son, Nathan Scheelhaase, on Saturday when an altercation broke out with as many as four people in the Memorial Stadium stands during Illinois' 42-3 homecoming loss to Michigan State.
Creer, a former Iowa football player, was charged with resisting arrest. He pleaded not guilty in a court appearance on Monday and a hearing is scheduled for Dec. 17. Campus police believe alcohol was involved.
"He resisted and obstructed the officer's efforts to remove him from the incident," university police chief Jeff Christensen said. "He became somewhat aggressive with the officer."
Creer was sent a letter from the university stating his banishment from the campus for a year. He does have the option to appeal. But if Creer violates the order, he could be charged with criminal trespassing.