Before the New York Giants could waive placekicker Brandon McManus, something they announced earlier Tuesday they would do, the Giants have been able to trade McManus to the kicker-needy Denver Broncos.
That conditional pick is likely tied to whether or not the Broncos actually carry McManus on the roster when the season opens. Getting a pick for a placekicker they weren't going to keep is a nice get for the Giants and GM Jerry Reese.
McManus, who impressed in preseason with a strong leg, figured to land an NFL job somewhere. It just didn't figure to happen this way, with the Broncos trading for a placekicker who has yet to kick in an NFL game.
The Broncos need a kicker with Matt Prater suspended for the first four games for a violation of the league's substance abuse policy.
More from sbnation.com:
- Updated Giants 53-man roster projection: Changes as season draws near
- Film Study: Why Has The Giants Offensive Line Struggled?
- New York Giants news, 8/25: Peyton Hillis returns to practice
- Giants Roster Cuts: Corey Washington should not be worrying
- Giants Roster Cuts: Well, there still haven't been any
- For Giants J.D. Walton it's been a 'long road' back from injury