USA Today Sports Images
Bill Self, having guided Kansas to its 13th-straight Big 12 regular season championship, is now a Hall of Famer.
“I actually thought about it a little bit because I knew I was a finalist but I never thought it would come to be," Self said referring to the call he received on when he was informed he would be inducted. "Even though I was expecting a call to tell me one way or the other, it totally caught me off guard. I'm very honored and very humbled because I know there are so many people out there that this game has been their life to them or they have based their entire life promoting and having great success at the game.
“I feel humbled that I was remotely considered in that group,” he added.
Self, since his arrival in 2004, has compiled a record of 416-88 (.825) and has more Big 12 regular season championships than home losses. Self, who has been a head coach for the past 24 years (Oral Roberts, Tulsa, Illinois and Kansas) has an overall record of 623-193 (.763).
Under Self, Kansas, in 2008, won its first National Championship since 1988 and returned to the National Championship game in 2012 (runner-up to Kentucky). For his career, Self has won a total of 17 regular-season conference titles and eight conference tournament titles.
• Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2017 inductee
• Four-time National Coach of the Year - 2000 (Sporting News; Wooden), 2009 (Yahoo! Sports; Sporting News; Athlon Sports; CBSSports.com; USBWA; AP; CBS/Chevrolet; ESPN.com), 2012 (Sporting News; Adolph Rupp; Naismith), 2016 (AP, Bleacher Report, USA TODAY)
• Eight-time Conference Coach of the Year - 2000 (WAC), 2006 (Big 12), 2009 (Big 12), 2011 (Big 12), 2012 (co-Big 12), 2015 (Big 12 by AP), 2016 (Big 12 by AP), 2017 (Big 12)
• Wooden Award "Legends of Coaching" - 2013
• Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame - 2013 induction
• Wayman Tisdale Humanitarian Award (USBWA) - 2014
• Mannie Jackson – Basketball's Human Spirit Award (Naismith Hall of Fame) - 2015
• Winged Foot Award (for national champion coach) – 2008
• Naismith Coach of the Year Finalist (Atlanta Tipoff Club) – 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2009, 2012, 2017
• Ninth fastest coach to reach 600 wins in NCAA Division I.
• 13-straight conference titles from 2005-17 ties NCAA Division I record. Self is the only coach to have won 13 straight.
• All-time winningest coach in Allen Fieldhouse history (220-10).
• Has more Big 12 titles (13) than home losses in Allen Fieldhouse (10).
• Nine, 30-win seasons, which ranks third all-time in NCAA Division I.
• Has coached five Consensus All-America First Team selections, including 2017 National Player of the Year Frank Mason III.
• Has coached five league player of the year honorees and 61 all-conference performers.
• At Kansas, has coached 34 Academic All-Big 12 selections.
• Has had 17 players drafted in the NBA First Round.