Bengals 28, Chiefs 6

The Sports Xchange
The SportsXchange

Kansas City, Mo. -- The Cincinnati Bengals used a solid, workmanlike performance in winning their second consecutive game, this time beating the Kansas City Chiefs 28-6 at Arrowhead Stadium.
The Bengals dominated the Chiefs, especially in the first half with three touchdowns and allowed Kansas City only a pair of field goals.
The victory helped the Bengals move their record to 5-5 on the season, overcoming a 3-5 start with wins over the Giants and Chiefs.
The Chiefs have lost seven games in a row and dropped to 1-9. The stadium was only half-full for the start of the game and a majority of those fans wore black as part of an organized protest against the way the team is being operated by owner Clark Hunt and general manager Scott Pioli.
Quarterback Andy Dalton and wide receiver A.J. Green, along with a stout defense that did not allow a Kansas City touchdown, were the heroes for the winners. Dalton threw for 230 yards, with two TD passes and he ran for another score. Green had six catches for 91 yards and a touchdown. Running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis had 101 rushing yards and a touchdown.
The Chiefs put up the first points of the game thanks to a 34-yard field goal from Ryan Succop. The Bengals came back with an 11-play, 78-yard drive that ended with a dazzling touchdown catch by Green. Green caught the 4-yard pass from Dalton on the left edge of the end zone with Chiefs cornerback Javier Arenas all over him in coverage. Green reached around Arenas and caught the ball with one hand, while getting both feet down in the end zone.
The Bengals' second score was set up by a 40-yard Dalton-to-Green completion with another nine yards tacked on when Chiefs safety Abram Elam was penalized for unnecessary roughness for a hit on Green. Three plays later Cincinnati thought it had a touchdown as tight end Jermaine Gresham bulled through three potential tacklers and across the goal line. Replay review wiped out the score, saying Gresham's knee touched at the Chiefs' 1-yard line.
Facing 4th-and-goal, Dalton scored on a pretty bootleg run, completely fooling the Chiefs defense and the PAT kick made it 14-3.
Touchdown No. 3 for the Bengals wrapped up an 11-play, 79-yard drive with a one-yard score by Green-Ellis. Nugent's PAT kick gave Cincinnati a 21-3 lead, but that was chopped to 15 points when Succop hit a 33-yard field goal on the final play of the first half.
The only score of the second half was the Bengals fourth touchdown, a 14-yard pass from Dalton to rookie wide receiver Mohamed Sanu early in the fourth quarter that set the final score.
Notes: Green's first quarter touchdown catch pushed his streak of games with a TD to nine, the longest streak in team history. ... With injury problems in the offensive line, the Chiefs had only one starter among the five positions in the same spot played in the season opener -- left tackle Branden Albert. Then, five minutes into the second half, Albert went down with a back injury and did not return. ... The Bengals' first TD drive of 11 plays featured a pair of fourth-down conversions, including a fake punt where Cedric Peerman took a direct snap and ran for 32 yards on 4th-and-3.

What to Read Next