Los Angeles (AFP) - A Major League Baseball fan who was beaten into a coma outside Dodgers Stadium three years ago and left with permanent brain damage was awarded about $18 million in damages on Wednesday.
The Los Angeles Superior Court jury awarded the payout to Bryan Stow after the savage attack by two LA Dodgers fans that left the San Francisco Giants supporter seriously injured.
But the panel found the Dodgers were only 25 percent responsible for the attack that Stow blamed on inadequate security at the stadium. The jury also exonerated former Dodgers owner Frank McCourt of any culpability.
Stow's lawyer Thomas Girardi said Los Angeles Dodgers LLC, the company created by McCourt when he owned the team, will have to pay Stow about $14 million for past and future medical expenses and loss of earnings.
The company will pay 25 percent of the remaining roughly $4 million for pain and suffering.
"So this is a nice nest egg for this family, desperately needed," Girardi said. "The law has done some good for them."
The six-man, six-woman jury assigned the remainder of the blame for Stow's injuries on Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, the two men who attacked Stow in the parking lot in March 2011.
Jurors also found that Stow bore no responsibility in the attack, despite claims by lawyers for McCourt and the Dodgers that he had been drinking and provoked his attackers.
The verdict was reached one week after the jury declared itself to be deadlocked. Judge Victor Chavez then ordered them to continue talking.
The current Dodgers ownership was not targeted in the suit and has no liability in the case.