Bears 23, Ravens 20 (OT)

Ira Miller, The Sports Xchange
The SportsXchange

CHICAGO -- Robbie Gould's third field goal of the game, a 38-yarder after 6:19 of sudden death, gave the Chicago Bears a 23-20 victory over the Baltimore Ravens Sunday in a game interrupted for nearly two hours by a violent storm in the first quarter.
The victory, Chicago's second in two starts by backup quarterback Josh McCown -- playing in place of injured Jay Cutler -- lifted the Bears into a first-place tie in the NFC's North Division and dealt the Ravens, the defending Super Bowl champions, a serious blow in their hopes to reach the playoffs again.
The winning kick was set up by a pair of completions from McCown. On third-and-9 from his own 21, McCown threw for 14 yards to Alshon Jeffery on a crossing pattern for a first down.
On the next play, tight end Martellus Bennett out-jumped Baltimore's Corey Graham to haul in a 43-yard completion at the Ravens' 22-yard line. Three plays later, Gould kicked the game-winner.
Baltimore had the ball first in overtime but after one first down, couldn't sustain a drive when Tandon Doss could not hold a third-down pass from Joe Flacco.
Justin Tucker, who has made 18 consecutive field goal attempts, tied the game for the Ravens on a 21-yard field goal with three seconds remaining in the fourth quarter on a drive kept alive by tight end Dallas Clark's one-handed grab of a Flacco pass on fourth down near midfield.
Baltimore got to the 5-yard line with a first down before the Bears' defense tightened to force the kick.
The Ravens had jumped to an early 10-point lead before the game was interrupted late in the first quarter by a heavy storm - pounding rain, winds and a tornado warning - for an hour and 53 minutes.
On the Ravens' second play from scrimmage, Ray Rice ripped off a 47-yard run, the team's longest of the year, through a big hole and, five plays later, Rice scored on a 1-yard run.
After a Bears' three-and-out, the Ravens moved downfield on a 17-yard, third-down completion from Flacco to Clark, and Tucker kicked a 52-yard field goal.
Early in the second quarter, following the delay, Chicago tied the game by scoring 10 points in 12 seconds.
First, an 88-yard drive stalled on three straight incomplete passes from the Ravens' 2-yard line, and Gould kicked a 20-yard field goal. Next, on the first play following the kickoff, Bears rookie defensive end David Bass got between Flacco and Vanta Leach on a short pass play, leaped and made a nifty grab for an interception, returning it 24 yards for the tying touchdown.
The Ravens came right back to take the lead, 17-10, on a 5-yard pass from Flacco to Torrey Smith, climaxing an 80-yard drive. Just before halftime, an interception by rookie linebacker Jonathan Bostic put the Bears in position for Gould to kick a 46-yard field goal.
Baltimore retained a 17-13 lead into the fourth quarter, when McCown drove the Bears 83 yards and connected with Matt Forte for a 14-yard touchdown on a screen pass to put Chicago ahead.
But on a drive that began with 4:48 remaining, the Ravens benefited from a horse collar tackle penalty against Bears safety Zack Bowman after a short third-down completion, and then got the terrific catch from Clark a few plays later on fourth-and-4, carrying to the Chicago 30-yard line.
Notes: The Ravens (4-6) now trail Cincinnati by 2 1/2 games in the AFC North and are trying to avoid becoming the seventh Super Bowl defending champion in 15 years to miss the playoffs . . . Chicago's defense was without four season-opening starters, lost to injuries, and lost defensive end Stephen Paea to a toe injury in the first quarter . . . The Baltimore defense has made at least two sacks in 18 consecutive games . . . Gould has made 19 of 20 field goal attempts this season . . . Baltimore, the league's least-efficient running team, piled up a season-high 174 yards rushing.

What to Read Next