Dec 7 (The Sports Xchange) - A court document filed Friday revealed that Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig denied the Oakland A's request to move to San Jose, California.
The A's have been looking for a new home for the past several years. The team wants to move to San Jose but is in a territorial battle over the South Bay with the San Francisco Giants, who claim rights to the area.
The city of San Jose filed a lawsuit against Major League Baseball to stop it from preventing the move. The lawsuit is ongoing, but a U.S. District Court document revealed that MLB claims Selig formally denied the A's move to San Jose on June 17 and that the ruling is final.
Selig's decision was made one day before San Jose's lawsuit was filed. According to the document, Selig notified the A's that he was not satisfied with their relocation proposal.
The A's recently signed a two-year lease extension to continue playing at O.com Coliseum through 2015.
- - -
The New York Yankees announced Saturday that they re-signed right-handed pitcher Hiroki Kuroda.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed but media outlets reported that the deal is for one year and $16 million, with $500,000 available based on innings pitched.
Kuroda, 38, made $15 million last year when he went 11-13 with a 3.31 ERA, the lowest among the team's starters. He also went over the 200-inning plateau for the third straight year. However, he was 0-6 with a 6.56 ERA in his final eight starts.
Before negotiating a new deal with the Yankees, Kuroda was considering retiring or returning to Japan.
Over six major-league seasons, Kuroda is 68-70 with a 3.40 ERA in 180 appearances - all but one are starts. He made at least 30 starts and pitched more than 180 innings in five of those seasons.
- - -
The Boston Red Sox announced the signing of right-handed relief pitcher Edward Mujica to a two-year contract.
Financial terms were not disclosed, but ESPNBoston.com reported the deal is worth $9.5 million.
Mujica, 29, closed for the St. Louis Cardinals this year before losing the job in September. He made just two appearances in the National League playoffs.
- - -
Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz told radio station WEEI on Friday that the New York Yankees' loss of second baseman Robinson Cano to free agency is "great news for us."
Ortiz said the Yankees lost "the face" of their franchise when Cano reportedly agreed to terms on a 10-year, $240 million contract with the Seattle Mariners.
"This guy hurt us," Ortiz said. "He is the guy that you're never going to forget about ... because he puts up some monster numbers. Now let's see how everything goes with him on the West Coast."
ESPN reported Saturday that Cano will return to Seattle on Sunday and have a physical exam Monday to complete the third-largest contract in baseball history. It is tied with first baseman Albert Pujols' deal that he signed with the Los Angeles Angels after the 2011 season.
Third baseman Alex Rodriguez has the top two contracts in major-league history. He signed a 10-year, $275 million extension with the Yankees in 2007, replacing the 10-year, $252 million deal he signed with the Texas Rangers in 2000.
Ortiz called Cano's deal "well deserved."
(Editing by Gene Cherry)