Atlanta Motor Speedway’s repave is temporarily on hold.
After drivers waxed poetically about the aged Atlanta track surface following the track’s March 5 race won by Brad Keselowski, AMS said Tuesday it would postpone the repave until “at least” after the track’s race in 2018.
“We appreciate all of the input we have received from key individuals in the NASCAR industry, as well as our customers,” Atlanta president Ed Clark said in a statement. “The overwhelming majority have urged us to hold off on paving that we can enjoy at least one more weekend of high-speed slipping and sliding in 2018 before the new surface is installed.”
While the Atlanta news is met with praise from nearly everyone in the short term, it’s imperative to understand that this is likely just a decision for short-term gratification. When the track said earlier this year that it was repaving the track after the 2017 race it noted the repave was long overdue.
Marcus Smith, the chairman of Speedway Motorsports Inc., the group that owns the track, said the 2017 repave was three years overdue. Since you’re good at counting, you know that means it’ll be four years overdue or more whenever Atlanta decides to repave the track.
– – – – – – –