More in this article:
Nevin Shapiro on Farquharson: Play audio
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided an extra benefit to Kayne Farquharson during the 2008 season. The benefit he claimed to have provided:
- Kayne Farquharson
Position: Wide receiver
Rivals recruiting rank: Ranked as the No. 29 junior college player in the Class of 2007.
Miami career: In two seasons, Farquharson was a role player who platooned in the receiving corps, finishing his career with 27 receptions for 355 yards and four touchdowns. He is currently out of football.
• Drinks, VIP access and entertainment for Farquharson and Robert Marve at Solid Gold strip club in Miami. Shapiro said the trip occurred in late August 2008.
• One source corroborated Shapiro's account of paying for VIP access, drinks and entertainment for Farquharson to Solid Gold strip club in late August 2008.
• Yahoo! Sports also acquired the August 2008 bill for Shapiro's American Express black card, which shows $3,765 in charges from "Golden Eateries" on the night of Aug. 27 and morning of Aug. 28, and another charge of $3,900 on the night of Aug. 30 from the same establishment. "Golden Eateries" is the billing name which appeared on statements for charges from Solid Gold strip club.
• Yahoo! Sports viewed government testimony by Sherwin Jarol in which he expounds on strip club visits with Shapiro. A source told Yahoo! Sports that Jarol was testifying about two trips with Shapiro to Solid Gold in August 2008. In his testimony, Jarol talks about Miami athletes being in attendance on one trip, and also the men's head basketball coach for the Hurricanes being on hand for another. The testimony appears to match up with the pair of charges on Shapiro's credit cards in August 2008.
In Shapiro's words
• "Kayne Farquharson I only met one time. We did keep in touch via text message. He was a nice kid. Sort of outspoken. I went with him and Robert Marve to Solid Gold when Marve and he were suspended for the first game of the 2008 season."
This page from Nevin Shapiro's August 2008 American Express black card statement shows multiple charges to Prime 112 and Solid Gold strip club which he says have Miami ties. Shapiro said he took Miami basketball coach Frank Haith to a dinner at Prime 112 late that month, along with several women and one of his investors, Sherwin Jarol. Shapiro said he also took Jarol to two Solid Gold strip club visits late that month – one with Haith, and a second visit with Hurricanes players Robert Marve and Kayne Farquharson, who were both suspended from Miami's season-opening game that month. Jarol expounded on the Prime 112 dinner and strip club visits while testifying to federal prosecutors during Shapiro's Ponzi case, affirming the presence of "the coach from the Miami basketball team" and "a couple of football players [from] … the University of Miami." Shapiro's American Express black card shows $2,893.26 in charges to Prime 112 on Aug. 27, 2008, and $3,765 in charges to Solid Gold (listed as "Golden Eateries") on the night of the 27th and morning of the 28th. Two days later, there is a second visit to Solid Gold, displaying $3,900 in charges. PDF file
Did not respond to a message left on his Facebook page.