Alexander Gustafsson is upset that Daniel Cormier will remain in a fight with light heavyweight champion Jon Jones at UFC 182 on Jan. 3, 2015, and he has every right to be, but that doesn't mean things are going to change.
SEE ALSO: Jon Jones Out of UFC 178 with Injury
Gustafsson fell out of his rematch against Jones at UFC 178 due to an injury. Cormier stepped up and took his place for the Sept. 27 bout. Jones then fell out of the fight due to an injury of his own.
UFC officials decided to reschedule the bout for Jan. 3, but instead of reinstating Gustafsson – who will be healthy by then – they also determined that the fight will remain between Jones and Cormier.
UFC president Dana White on Thursday told UFC.com that Gustafsson sitting out isn't likely to happen either. In all likelihood, he'll be matched up with Anthony Johnson, who has been running roughshod over the 205-pound division since he returned to the UFC earlier this year.
“Gustafsson is upset, but it's not like we took Gustafsson out of the fight. Gustafsson got hurt and he's out,” White said. “Cormier stepped in and accepted the fight and this is the fight that is going to happen now.”
That didn't sit well with the Swede, who proclaimed, “It was MY fight to begin with and I WANT the fight!”
His manager, Manos Terzitane, recently told UFC Tonight that if Gustafsson wasn't going to get the fight with Jones that he would sit out and wait to fight the winner of Jones vs. Cormier.
Despite Gustafsson and his manager protesting, White said the situation would't likely play out the way the No. 1 light heavyweight contender wants.
“Gustafsson will probably fight again,” White continued. “He'll probably fight again to stay active, stay top of mind, and the guy has to make money.”
White confirmed to UFC.com that Gustafsson vs. Johnson was probably be the fight most likely to make sense for the Swede, while Jones vs. Cormier plays out.