The Miami Marlins promoted right-hander Jose Fernandez to its Opening Day roster and the franchise's top prospect will make his major-league debut as a starter on April 7 against the New York Mets.
Fernandez, the team's No. 1 draft choice in 2011 who hasn't pitched above Class A, was needed because starters Nathan Eovaldi and Henderson Alvarez are experiencing shoulder problems. Both are on the disabled list.
The Marlins also called up right-hander Alex Sanabia and scheduled him to start on Friday against the Mets.
"This has been tugging at us a little bit," Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest said of the 20-year-old Fernandez's elevation to the big-league roster, according to MLB.com. "We watched him in big league camp. We watched him last year. We watched him go down to the minor leagues. He's been just outstanding."
Beinfest said Fernandez's pitches and innings will be limited this season.
In other roster moves Sunday , the Marlins picked up the contracts of Austin Kearns, Casey Kotchman, Chad Qualls, Chris Slowey, Chris Valaika and John Maine.
The Marlins also place first baseman Joe Mahoney (oblique) and catcher Jeff Mathis (broken collarbone) on the 15-day disabled list.