News Bites for Nov. 21, 2023

Nov. 21—MOSES LAKE — With the holiday season rapidly approaching, it's important for people who decorate to do it safely, according to an announcement from the Moses Lake Fire Department.

About half of all house fires, or approximately 47,000 per year, are caused by electrical failures, the MLFD wrote in its announcement. People should avoid overloading electrical outlets and if extension cords are used, it should be on a strictly temporary basis. Appliances that generate heat or use a lot of power, like refrigerators, washers, dryers and so on, should always be plugged directly into wall sockets.

More information about home fire safety is available at

OTHELLO — Nobody was hurt Monday morning in a collision between a car and a school bus in Othello, according to a statement from the Othello School District.

At about 7 a.m., a school bus on Bench Road was transporting about 36 students to Othello High School when it was struck by a vehicle driven by another Othello High School student, according to the OSD statement. Emergency response teams got the driver out of the car safely and ensured that all students on the bus were safe. The students on the bus continued to the school and the school day continued as usual.

"This is a great reminder that with winter roads here and driving conditions constantly changing, it's important to take the extra time to slow down, be aware of the road conditions, and exhibit extra caution at all times," the OSD wrote in the statement.