October 24, 2009
Boston College receiver Rich Gunnell had a big afternoon with 10 catches for 179 yards and a touchdown in the Eagles' 20-16 loss at Notre Dame, then had a few choice words with Irish quarterback Jimmy Clausen:
What did Gunnell say to draw Jimmy's ire? Dr. Saturday's expert lip-readers have narrowed down a few of the most likely options:
• "Ed Hardy is played, dog. Quote me."
• "I do say, sir, that was quite the spirited scrum! We would be oh so appreciative if you could accompany your mates to our scone-and-custard brunch."
• "Pull my finger."
• [Whispering]: "Just like we planned, just like we ... okay ... push!" [To reporters:] "Oh my god, I had no idea he was so strong!"
• "I don't want to be starting nothing, but Theismann told me Powlus was better."
• "No, you can be my wingman."
• "Yeah, I said it: Kate doesn't deserve John."
• "Have you ever considered the role that Dianetics can play in your life?"
• "Your roots are showing."
If Clausen declines, Rich, I'll accept his invitation to the custard brunch. Call me.
[UPDATE, 11:57 p.m. ET] Gunnell clarified the exchange after the game, accusing Clausen of getting a little pushy before kickoff:
So, what happened? Here's Gunnell's version:
"In the beginning of the game, we were warming up, running on the field and [Clausen's] out there chirping and talking all this trash and he pushed, I think, Justin Jarvis. He just pushed him for no reason, and I just looked at him like, 'What are you doing? Who do you think you are?
"He's just sitting there still talking and then afterward, he was trying to be all friendly. I was like, 'I don't want to hear it now.'
"It just rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't like what he did. It just seemed like he was a little fake toward the end of the game because they won. I know if it was the other end of the stick, he'd probably be saying the same thing to me."
Clausen said he was just trying to say "good game"; Gunnell wound up calling Jimmy "phony" for playing the sportsman after the fact. Smirking and shoving ensues. I still think there were some hair-care tips in there somethere.
- - -
Hat tip: EDSBS. Are you an expert lip-reader? Leave your interpretations of the Gunnell-Clausen exchange in the comments.