Jarelle Reischel and Arsalan Kazemi scored 20 points each for the Owls (13-10, 4-4 Conference USA), and reserve Omar Oraby contributed 11 points, eight rebounds and four blocked shots. Kazemi led Rice with nine rebounds.
The lead changed 26 times and there were 10 ties, the last with 7 seconds to play when Cedrick Lang scored for UTEP (10-12, 3-5). That was Lang’s only field goal of the game.
Gabriel McCulley had 23 points and 10 rebounds for the Miners, and John Bohannon had 18 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks. Julian Washburn had 16 points and Michael Perez added 14 points for UTEP, which fell to 0-8 on the road this season.
- DeBose's basket lifts Rice past UTEP 77-75
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU