Western Michigan beats Central Michigan 64-61Saturday, Jan 21, 2012
Hutcheson was 6 of 11 from the field and hit three 3-pointers. Mike Douglas added 13 points and Flenard Whitfield had 12 for the Broncos (9-10, 3-2 Mid-American).
Trey Zeigler scored 19 points, including a layup with 2:21 to play that pulled the Chippewas (7-11, 2-3) within 64-61. Unfortunately for Central Michigan, those were the last two points of the game. Olivier Mbaigoto missed a game-tying 3-pointer with 47 seconds left, and Zeigler missed another with 5 seconds remaining. Whitfield grabbed the rebound to secure the win.
Western Michigan led 61-50 with 4:49 left, but back-to-back 3s by Austin Keel and another by Zeigler fueled the Chippewas’ comeback.
Central Michigan shot just 34 percent from the field, including 28 percent in the second half.
- Western Michigan beats Central Michigan 64-61
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- With Bennie Boatwright back, USC has all the ingredients for a special season
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU