Cal holds on late for 69-66 win over WashingtonBy TIM BOOTH, AP Sports Writer Thursday, Jan 19, 2012
SEATTLE (AP)—Allen Crabbe scored 16 points, unheralded walk-on Robert Thurman added a career-high 16 off the bench, and California remained in at least a tie for first place in the Pac-12 with a critical 69-66 win over Washington on Thursday night.
Justin Cobbs added 14 points, including a key 3-pointer from the corner in front of his own bench with 2:28 left that gave California (16-4, 6-1 Pac-12) a 66-58 lead. He later split a pair of free throws with 8.2 seconds left to put the Golden Bears up by three.
After a timeout, Washington’s Darnell Gant got an open look at a 3-pointer to tie the game, but missed off the front rim. It capped a miserable night for Gant, who was 0 for 9 from the field, including six misses from behind the arc.
Terrence Ross led Washington (11-7, 4-2) with 15 points, including a pair of late 3s.
- Cal holds on late for 69-66 win over Washington
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat