Joaquim scored nine of the Rainbow Warriors’ 16 points in the extra period as Hawaii (10-6, 2-0 Western Athletic) won its first conference road opener since 2004.
Garrett Johnson led Fresno State (7-11, 0-3) with 18 points, including back-to-back 3-pointers in overtime that brought the Bulldogs within 65-64 with 1:52 left.
Joaquim answered with a layup, then converted a three-point play that put Hawaii ahead 70-66 with 50 seconds left.
Hawaii’s Joston Thomas hit an inside basket with 2.4 seconds left in regulation to tie the game at 58-58 and force overtime.
Kevin Olekaibe added 15 points for the Bulldogs, and Steven Shepp had eight points and 11 assists.
- Hawaii outlasts Fresno State 74-68 in overtime
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- Sudden recruiting surge could propel UNLV back to relevance next season
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent