Brown had three 3-pointers and was 6 of 6 from the free-throw line. Sheldon McClellan added 19 points in his first start and the Longhorns (10-3) won in their first game since losing at No. 5 North Carolina on Dec. 21.
Rice missed five layups and shot 29 percent in the first half but only trailed 35-27 at intermission. The Owls (9-5) got within one point in the second half before Texas used a late run to seal the win.
Tamir Jackson had 19 points but Rice missed the chance to beat a second Big 12 team in two weeks after winning at Texas A&M on Dec. 22.
Julien Lewis did not play after starting 12 straight games for Texas. The freshman guard injured his left hand on Thursday when it got caught in a car door.
- Brown leads Texas past Rice 73-59
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat