Houston Baptist hits FTs, beats Santa Clara 72-71Wednesday, Dec 21, 2011
Tyler Russell hit a pair of shots from the foul line with 6.2 seconds left to put Houston Baptist (5-7) on top. Santa Clara’s Evan Roquemore was then fouled in the lane with 1.9 seconds remaining and went to the line with a chance to win it. Roquemore was 8 for 8 from the line up to that point, including two with 35.6 seconds left that put Santa Clara ahead 71-70, but missed both final free throws.
Russell had 19 points to lead Houston Baptist, which rallied from a 41-29 halftime deficit. Art Bernardi scored 16, Jonathan Evans 11 and Joe Latas 10.
Kevin Foster led Santa Clara (7-4) with 19 points. Roquemore and Raymond Cowells III added 15 points each, and John McArthur had 12 points and 12 rebounds.
- Houston Baptist hits FTs, beats Santa Clara 72-71
- Joel Berry abruptly withdraws from the draft, returns to North Carolina
- Five biggest losers now that the NBA draft's early entry deadline has passed
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Why it's OK that there are 182 early-entry candidates for this year's NBA draft
- Kansas fills hole at point guard by adding Cal transfer Charlie Moore
- Facing his toughest rebuild yet, can John Calipari keep Kentucky in title mix?
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat